Friday, July 30, 2021

Thread on Extender

 I picked up my weekly supply of veggies from the CSA yesterday. In addition to the stuff they have inside ready to go, they also had u-pick green beans available. I decided green beans would be a good addition to the summer table so I picked a few. I was only out there about 15 minutes but I started working up a pretty good sweat. The weather the last couple of days have been right around 90 degrees with the humidity about 90 percent. The heat index has been right at 100 or a little above. I've been taking it easier than I needed to but I'm not on the clock any more and I've still been getting out in the shop a couple hours every day. 



Yesterday's time was spent primarily on making the extender for the tie rod. Since nothing is tightened down, I'm not real sure how close I came to getting my length measurement correct. After the hardware order comes in I'll snug everything up and see where I'm at. I'd like to have the minimum amount of thread sticking out on the rod ends. Even if I need to make a longer piece, what I've got now will allow me to mount the steering box and take the next step. The Speedway catalog lists pitman arms of two different lengths. The straight one is 6-5/16" C-C, the offset one is 5-3/4" C-C. After I determine the mounting position of the steering box I can determine which arm I'll need and then be able to get the length dimension on the drag link and order everything I need to complete the steering from the box forward, including shocks and the panhard bar.

The weather is supposed to be much nicer today - temps in the seventies with lower humidity. I'm thinking about running down to the county fairgrounds and checking out the fair. Last years was cancelled, like just damn near everything else I find enjoyable. Our fair is a small event but I like walking around and seeing the animals and the old tractors. I usually break training and get myself a pork burger while I'm there.  Need to  support our local pork producers, plus, they're tasty. 

Maybe mow some grass when I come home, maybe jump back on the Rickati project to finish up the rear brakes. Speaking of which, I haven't heard anything from the USPS about my appeal on the long lost brake shoes. Maybe that's a good sign. 

No comments: