Saturday, July 24, 2021

That's What I'm Talkin' About

 


A BL2 in the flesh, all painted up and ready to go. Cuzzin Ricky and I did breakfast and then short hopped it to the train museum to check things out. We had a nice chat in the restaurant with a retired Amtrak employee and he mentioned taking the Southwest Chief to Albuquerque, NM and some of the things to see there. I came home and did a quick look-see at the Amtrak site to see what the travel restrictions are these days and what it would cost. Without any senior discount one way coach is $122 with the trip taking about 25-1/2 hours. Masks are required the whole time unless you're eating or drinking and you need to be cleared of covid  but no vaccine passport is required. 

I also recieved an e-mail from Cosmos, a company I've travelled with before, with info on traveling in Canada. I saw a trip that the Missus and I might consider taking since we weren't able to do Hawaii. Might be a while until we feel it's safe to travel but it looks like it would be a nice trip.


I welded the support legs onto the jitney frame rails yesterday. Its a little wiggly side-to-side, so I'm going to weld a diagonal brace from the top of one leg to the bottom of the other. I'm going to put a jack under the axle and lift it enough to take the slack out so I can get a measurement as to the where axle will be in relation to the frame and the ground. The bottom of the bell housing sticks down about seven inches below the frame. Since the engine mounts aren't welded down yet, I might raise the engine and tranny up as well as moving things back the 2" I already planned. I wanted to have the rear of the trans pointing down slightly with the differential pointing up at the same angle. Rather than lowering the rear of the trans and losing some more ground clearance, raising the engine might be the only way to go. I need to get the measurement of where the spindle will be once there's weight on the front end.

No comments: