Saturday, July 17, 2021

Working 'Em Three At A Time

 


I went to Menards yesterday to pick up supplies, including paint for the side hustle and a couple of 3/4" bolts. They didn't have them individually and a 12" piece of redi-rod was the same price as the package of bolts and would have required more work. So now I've got 4 bolts I'll probably never have any use for but they'll bring 50 cents at the auction.



While waiting for the paint to dry I decided to pull the back wheel on the Rickati and get the brake shoes I pulled out of the front wheel installed. The pivot bolt on the rear backing plate had some sheet metal wrapped around it, apparently to compensate for the excessive wear of the lining on the shoes that are buried along with Jimmy Hoffa somewhere in New Jersey. Anyway, I swapped out the pivot bolt, scuffed up the linings and put the wheel back together. However, the actuating arm from the front brake is oriented in the wrong direction. Looks like I'll need to make a new one.


I also took the the spring apart, cleaned all the rust off of it, took a few leaves out and then put it back on the front of the car. When I pulled up on one end of the spring it flexed about 3/4", when before, it just lifted the car off the horses with only a little bit of deflection. Next up is to get the axle under it.


No comments: