Wednesday, July 28, 2021

Books

 


It's rare that I read a book more than once but I decided to tackle this one again. It was a gift from Surly right after it came out in 1997. I read it right after receiving it but it's been on the shelf ever since - long enough I couldn't remember any specifics, only that I recalled it was a good read. The book made a pretty big splash in the motorcycle realm when it came out. I read it while waiting for the Missus during her visits to the doctors of late.


This is my current read. Cuzzin Ricky and I went to the Browning Museum when we took the Amtrak to Salt Lake City two years ago. I knew a bit about Browning before the trip but the museum visit piqued my curiosity and I wanted to know more. Especially since Browning never used blueprints. I'm only a few pages in but it looks like it's going to be a good story.


I got this in the mail the other day - parts and accessories for the Himalayan from Hitchocks. Lots of items to make your Himalayan go faster, look and function better. They've got a big bore kit that adds about 50cc more. With the big bore kit and a gearing change it would make the bike more highway friendly. Of course if you were going to invest in all that, maybe you should have bought a different bike in the first place. I did see a couple of cosmetic items I might be interested in.

I did a little bit on the jitney project yesterday. I loosened up the spring bolts and got it set perpendicular to the frame using a tape measure rather than eyeballing it like it was. I then lined up the radius rods so they're where they should be. I've got the frame brackets clamped on at the right distance from the axle and at the right height to give me the proper caster angle. I started going through the boxes of parts so I can loosely assemble the front end and figure out what goes where. Lots of hardware in the boxes. Going to take me a bit of head scratching. I did try the kingpins in the spindles and I shouldn't have to ream the bushings. Likewise, it looks like the kingpins are going to be a good fit in the axle bosses. The kit has shims to insure a good fit between the axle bosses and the spindles also. I need to get all the parts mounted in the proper location to see where the steering box needs to go and to figure out what I need for a panhard bar.

I've got the hired man coming this morning, so I'll try and get out to the shop in the afternoon. Every day a little something.


3 comments:

Surly said...

I'm reading I am Legend with Man's Search for Meaning on deck. I also bought a copy of The Rape of the Mind by Joost Meerloo for my vacation. A little light treatise on brainwashing; you know, times being what they are.

Shop Teacher Bob said...

I'm not familiar with any of those books but the brainwashing that's going on is pretty obvious to anyone who is paying at least a little attention. I'm just not sure what the long game is and how bankrupting the country and killing off the middle class will achieve their goals - who ever they actually are. Crazy times for sure.

Surly said...

I'll loan you those books when I'm done.
Bankrupting the Country will ruin the middle class. The middle class is probably the biggest stumbling block to what I feel is some sort of Sino-Communist modeled bullshit. Instead of the greater good, it'll just be some crazy Technocracy that favors Government officials and the uber-rich. The lower classes are being fed the bullshit that the middle class is a bunch of racists that hate you and the Gubment is who you want to handle your affairs. Add in fear of cooties, don't teach the children anything useful, stay weak both physically and emotionally, morals are not valid, and weed is fine and...we're boned.
Johnny was right.
I pray I'm wrong.