Tuesday, July 6, 2021

God Bless The Queen

 Saw this at Bayou Renaissance Man:



BUCKINGHAM PALACE. OFFICIAL.

TODAY HER MAJESTY THE QUEEN ISSUED THE FOLLOWING STATEMENT.

On August 24th, 1814 units of the British Army, in conjunction with the Royal Marines, came ashore in the American State of Maryland, and proceeded to capture the American Capital of Washington D.C. Once in possession of the city, as a legitimate reprisal under the laws of war, Our forces proceeded to set afire every public building in the city, including both the White House and the Congressional Chambers; sparing only the Patent Office, in the name of scientific advancement.

Given that the bicentennial of these events has recently passed, I would like to take this opportunity to assure the citizens of the United States that, in light of the deep and permanent ties that have since arisen between our two nations, it would be quite impossible for Our Armed Forces to again burn all of the governmental offices in Washington D.C. and certainly not while they are occupied.

So please stop asking.

Thank you.

H.M. Elizabeth II

__________________________________________________________

Even if the Queen won't do it, there seems to be plenty of people who would. Lots of drum beating around the internet. There was another "disturbance" in downtown Chicago Sunday night as well as eighty-some people shot. I don't know what the three day total will be for the long weekend. And it's not just Chicago that's seeing an increase in crime. I don't know what's going to happen in the future but I'm thinking it won't be long and things will hit the fan.

 

And now for something completely different - pod on my big leaf magnolia. It's about three inches in length. Rather exotic tree to be found on an old farmstead. 

I got out on my racing bike yesterday morning. It's lighter than my touring bike due to a smaller frame, lighter weight components and the lack of the saddle bag with the tools I normally carry with me. I put in six miles at a fairly decent clip - still not where I would like to be but I'll keep training. Wouldn't hurt to lose a few more pounds either.

The weather was hot and humid again. After the bike ride yesterday I had my breakfast and then went outside for some yardwork. Came in a little before noon and showered up. Stayed in the house until about 4:30 then mowed the backyard and did some more horticultural type things - planting, weeding and watering. Today is supposed to be about the same weather wise. I've got a bit more to do outside and then I need to get back in the shop.

No comments: