Thursday, December 2, 2021

Cabin In The Woods For Tough Guys

 Had a fairly busy day yesterday with not much to show for it. I had an echocardiogram scheduled for 9:30 in the morning followed by a blood draw. So I drove north 25 miles and made a stop at Menards while I was out. I got home about noon, got something to eat and then headed south 20 miles to get a belt for the mower. While there I noticed a brochure for Honest Abe log homes. That's always been my dream home - cabin in the woods, big shop out back and a library card. Nice thing about those log homes is they never need painting. The next time will be the last time I paint the old farmhouse.

Changing subjects, last weeks Epoch Times, Life & Tradition section, had an article titled Hard Times, Strong Men. Without mentioning Stoicism, that seemed to be the theme.

    Many of us have relatives who lived through hard times. They save every dollar, scrape every morsel from their plates, and admonish us for any waste. We find their behavior odd, even comical at times, but they know better than us that prosperity doesn't last. When hardship does arrive, they'll be prepared, while the wasteful will be left wanting, unaccustomed to austerity. 

   In light of present circumstances, it would be wise to remember the inevitability of discomfort and adopt, out of choice, a habit of fortitude and self-discipline, before it becomes a necessity. Grit, tenacity, and endurance are skills that can be learned and honed through purposeful practice. They allow us to thrive with little material means at our disposal.

 The article was written by Ryan Moffatt, who according to the paper, is a tradesman, father, writer, and musician. Sounds like the kind of guy I'd like to sit down with.

The paper also reviewed the book The Viking Heart and when you talk about tough guys, you can't leave out the Vikings. It looks like a good book but it's 512 pages long - 12 more than my self-imposed limit. Maybe I'll get a copy when I retire to that cabin in the woods.

No comments: