Wednesday, December 1, 2021

Some Beautiful Things


I bought some roses the other day at the grocery store. Beautiful flowers for only $5.00. I need to get these on a more regular basis to brighten the place up a bit this winter.



Not as beautiful as roses but the wiring loom came yesterday and I'm making progress on the wiring diagram. I ran into a little snag. The directions that came with the kill switch say one thing, the wiring book says an other thing and the factory wiring diagram says another. I've only got the wiring diagram for under the hood. I'm going to try and find the diagram for the dash and then it should make more sense. 


This, however, is indeed a real beauty. It was nice out yesterday so I jumped on the bike for a ride, got about a half mile from the house and came across this set out for the garbage man. I quick turned around, went home and got the truck before somebody else snagged it. It's missing the keeper on the front so it won't pull the moveable jaw out when you loosen the screw, as well as a thrust washer on the screw. Nothing I can't handle. I don't really need another vise or another vice, but it was too good to pass up. 

The vise is a Chas Parker #954 with 4" jaws. I did a quick search and Parker made several sizes of vises as well as other items including the Parker brand shotguns that are now worth really big bucks. I did see an Ebay listing for a 954 Chas Parker for $375.00. Maybe fix it up and peddle it off.

3 comments:

Surly said...

You can get bronze thrust washers from McMaster for that vise.

Shop Teacher Bob said...

Thanks - I've got one of their catalogs and I think I might have a piece of brass I can cut one out of. It's not a priority by any means but I've got several other little jobs that need doing. I might just make a day of tackling several of them. Fix 'em or pitch 'em. 2022, he says somewhat optimistically, is going to be the year of down-sizing and tying up loose ends.

Surly said...

I have issues using parting tools on my lathe. Not sure why but I struggle with anything other than aluminum. Even aluminum gives me trouble. I've broken carbide and HSS, and thrown parts out of the chuck. Parting is sorrow: nothing sweet about it. I'd rather pay for a bronze washer and wait than make one.