Saturday, December 4, 2021

Senior Bennies

 I checked on both state park fees and a fishing license for the upcoming year. Looks like being an old guy does have at least some rewards. The annual fee for park entrance is only $25.00 for Seniors. That'll get you and all passengers in a non-commercial vehicle in the gate. Since my walkies group has been talking about hitting a couple of the state parks to do some hiking, the payback on that would be real quick. If I go camping, the gate fee is assessed along with the camping fee, so the Senior Park Pass would cover that as well.

There's a Senior lifetime fishing license available for $17.00. I haven't been fishing in about ten years now. That was something I was looking forward to when I retired but just haven't gotten out. No reason for it other than it hasn't been a priority. Even if I never go fishing, donating $17.00 to help support the DNR isn't a bad thing. Might give me the incentive I need to finish my boat as well.


This one came on the radio while I was taking the Missus to the dentist - nice soothing little ditty to get five teeth pulled by. She came through the extractions OK but when I went to fire up the rig to come home all I got was clicks from under the hood. I had stayed out in the car while she was being worked on. I turned the ignition on 5 or 6 times, just long enough that the radio would come on and that was all. Fortunately, my own personal Hoosier Helper was on call. The daughter-in-law had jumper cables in her car and she only lives ten minutes away. So it ended up just being not much more than a little inconvenience but I didn't want the Missus to have to go through anymore on top of what she'd just been through. Fortunately, she was pretty well sedated - which is the Ramones tune that would fit right in about now. I'll get a new battery today and get it swapped out. She's got another medical thing coming up soon, so I need to make sure the car's on the up and up. 

This is the first time I've needed a jump on one of the vehicles in a long time. I've got a good set of cables in the barn but I don't carry cables in the car or the truck. I'm not familiar with the battery booster things they sell now, some of which are under $100.00. Cables would be cheaper but then you have to have another vehicle. Buying two of the boosters would probably be overkill but, invariably, the vehicle that needed a jump would not be the one with the booster. Might be a good time to ask Santa for some advice.

No comments: