Friday, December 31, 2021

Year In Review

 The first thing that came to mind when getting ready to write this up was Hogan's goat but 2021 wasn't all bad. Let's break it down categorically. 

Physical: The year started out on a very high note with the cataract surgeries. Huge improvement in brightness as well as the vision correction. It took me a while to adjust to the reversal of the bi-focals from taking my glasses off for close up work to having to put them on, but small price to pay.

I finally realized there was not going to be any end to the cooties so I got busy on the bicycle. I started training for the July bike race in April but it got cancelled. At that point I started training for distance rather than speed, with the goal of riding a metric century later in the year. Didn't quite make that but I did do a hilly 42 mile ride and a 50 miler. The 42 mile ride was on my 71st birthday and that gave me a warm and fuzzy. I put in just a tick under 1,000 miles on the bike this year. Depending on my running buddy, looking to do a full century ride in 2022.

I spent most Sunday afternoons walking with my running buddy and others from the boxing gym - typically 3 or 4 miles. I also did a 5K with Surly. Not really a race walk, more a brisk walk but good to have been able to spend time with him. Hasn't been near enough of that. Again, depending on my running buddy, looking to do a 10K in 2022.

Lost a little weight on the year - still could afford to drop another 5 pounds or so. I've figured out how to improve my upper body strength without aggravating my chest condition. Still don't know what causes the problem but as long as I avoid certain things I'm OK.

Financial: Most of the cash outlay has gone for car or motorcycle parts but I've kept it well within the bounds of my monthly Social Security checks. However, I'm going to have to keep a close eye on expenditures in the future. I'm getting a raise on my SS check next year but my Medicare supplement has gone up and inflation is starting to eat up the value of my savings. The statement from SS also included the amount of my "voluntary" federal tax deduction they hit me for. I like how they taxed my paycheck for better than 50 years for SS and the rest, and then when I draw my SS check they tax me on the money they obtained by taxing me to begin with. They get you coming and going.

Social: Not much socializing again this year. With the exception of a couple of trips to boxing matches, I didn't get any farther than the surrounding counties. Other than Surly and his clan, the only other family members I saw were three of my cousins and I didn't see much of them. Most of my contact with other humans was during my bike rides or walks. I did spend more time on the phone this year. I'm not much of a phone person but I talked more than I have since I was in high school. Didn't make it to Hawaii for our 50th and that hurt. My aunt passed away, I wasn't able to see her prior to that and there wasn't any funeral. That hurt as well.

Projects: I got started in earnest on the jitney project at the beginning of the year. I've made good progress, at least by my standards. I'm hoping to have it operational this coming year. That will depend on how cold it gets this winter and the availability of parts. The vintage trials bike (Rickati) will be finished up as soon as I get the motor back. I got lots of little things done as well as a few jobs for others. Stayed on top of work around the shack. Fell well off the pace with my book reading but I did manage at least one a month. Working on correcting that in 2022.

Forecast: Looks like 2022 will probably be worse than this year. Doesn't look like the supply chain problem will get resolved anytime soon. Inflation isn't going to be transitory. The cooties still will continue disrupting everything. The truth will be harder and harder to come by and political unrest will escalate. Lots of dark clouds on the horizon but I'll just try and keep my head up, chin down and roll with the punches.

Best wishes to all of you in 2022. In the immortal words of Uncle Pete: "Keep your end gate up."

No comments: