Wednesday, December 8, 2021

Things


This pretty much sums up my book buying philosophy, other than the rereading part - it's rare that I'll read a book more than once.


I finished this one up while waiting for the Missus to get her dental work done the other day. This one was bought with cash but it was only 50 cents at the library book sale. It's going to a new home in the next couple of days as soon as I record it in the 2021 list of books I've read. Pretty short list this year. I dug out another one to start on but at the rate I'm going, I'll be lucky to get it finished by the end of the year.


I did some darkroom work Monday night. I printed up a few shots from the last roll through the Franka Rolfix Jr. before the shutter locked up. That old camera took nice pictures - I'm going to have to see if I can fix it. The photo on the top of the pile are my relatives. The negative has to be at least 80 years old. The young lady in the lower right just passed away last year and she was in her nineties. For an old negative, it's nice and sharp and the exposure was right on the money. It'll get added to my family history book.

I got the cast iron frying pan seasoned. It wouldn't hurt to fry up some bacon or hamburger to start building up a heavier coating in the bottom of the pan. It wouldn't hurt the pan, that is, I'm not so sure about my arteries. 

Speaking of which, I had my annual check-up with the cardiologist yesterday. Got the results of the echocardiogram and the blood work. I'm never going to be young again but the rate of deterioration doesn't seem to be picking up speed. Like everyone on this earth, I don't know how much longer I've got but there doesn't seem to be anything on the immediate horizon that's going to finish me off. I do need to tighten up the diet again and stay away from the cookies. I've been keeping my weight under 178, so I'm still a light-heavy, rather than a heavy-weight like I started the year. It would be best if I were down around 170. I'd still be 5 pounds over the middle-weight classification like I used to be, but it's not like I need to make weight for a fight - other than the fight for longevity.

My running buddy has decided she's going to do a marathon next year for sure and she's still talking about doing a century ride on the bikes. While my running days are over, I'll train for a brisk 10K walk at the marathon event, the bike race that hopefully will be back in 2022, and the century ride in October. That should keep me in shape and maybe with a little luck, I'll be able to get back in the boxing gym. I've missed that. Apparently I misunderstood when they were talking about "flattening the curve". I thought they said two weeks. They must have said two years.

No comments: