Saturday, December 10, 2022

Electric Motorcycle

 


I got the little e-bike put together yesterday. The operation went fairly smoothly. I had to run a tap through one of the holes for the handlebar bolts and the screws that hold the supports for the front side panels didn't line up well. Those aren't mentioned in the instructions. They would have been more easily accessible before I put the front fender on but not all that tough to deal with. According to the instructions, assembly should take 30-40 minutes. I didn't figure that was going to be accurate, but I had the heat on, the music playing and nothing else on the schedule. I had about 90 minutes on it and then as the last step I went to install the fuse. Zap! The key was turned off but there's a kill switch on the handlebars I didn't count on. I got out the voltmeter to see what was what, only to find a dead battery in the meter. Fortunately, I had a fresh 9V in house. After turning off the kill switch, I got a reading of zero, installed the fuse, turned on the key and the kill switch and rode the bike about 4' across the shop floor.

There are a couple of potentiometers under a panel right behind the headstock. One for response, one for speed. I had turned them down some before twisting the throttle. Even at that, the little bike took off right smartly with me in the saddle. The suspension is way too soft for me, but it's probably about right for a 13-year-old girl. The single shock is adjustable for preload, though. The bike came with a bag of "tools". Little stamped sheet metal things, all of which are less than 4" long. Can't imagine trying to assemble the bike using those.

I'm still waiting on the trailer light kit and the wheel chock. Maybe today.

3 comments:

MARSHALL OVERCLOTH said...

oh I see... you have to use ONLY the china tools provided in order to achieve assembly time of approximately 30-40 minutes.
yer lucky the bike didn't launch you clean through your shop door leaving the outline of you and the bike like in a cartoon. I would love to have on of those, not to ride but because it looks good as art. I can't be buying everything I like.

Shop Teacher Bob said...

I turned the rheostats down before I tried it out. As for the tools, no way I could put it together with those. Some of the old bikes used to put a fairly decent set of tools in a kit so you could at least change a sparkplug or a tire. This is the first Chinese bike I've ever fiddled with, in spite of the tool kit, it's surprising well made. We'll see how it holds up to a 13 year old.

MARSHALL OVERCLOTH said...

the tool kit that came with my china bike looked like traditional Japanese even the pouch but all made from very low grade quality materials. the screwdriver broke in half first time I put on any pressure. it was very funny. I consider china bikes as full scale fully functioning "models" of motorcycle that you may ride but be careful because they could snap right in half at any given moment without warning causing serious embarrassment and hilarious ridicule from onlookers. when you think of them think of them that way and enjoy.