Thursday, December 15, 2022

Trailer - Almost There


I pulled the trailer into the garage to get the wiring sorted in a little more comfort than working outside. It was a little warmer yesterday than Tuesday but rainy. I've got a little electric heater I brought out and put next to where I was working - kept my hands warm and warmed up the tools. Much nicer than the previous day. 

I eliminated the cheapie splice pieces, soldered the joints and covered the splice with heat shrink tubing. That's what I should have done from the jump - "Never have time to do it right, always have time to do it twice." Looks better and should be good for 100,000 now. 

When I got all done, I hooked the trailer up to the truck. The brake lights and turn signals worked but seemed a little dim - no taillights or marker lights. I put the trailer back in the garage, got the battery charger out and hooked the positive to the taillight wire on the plug and the ground to a clean spot on the trailer frame - lit up like a Christmas tree. Apparently, the bolt the tongue pivots on was not allowing the ground connection that's connected to the tongue to pass the current to the trailer frame. Not sure why I was getting brake lights if that was the case but who knows. I could pull the pivot bolt, clean it up and put some dielectric grease on it, or I could put a jumper wire from the tongue to the trailer frame. I chose option number two. I'll get that done today and then the trailer and the e-bike will be ready for delivery this weekend. 

No comments: