Thursday, December 1, 2022

Hand Warmer


The new heater showed up Tuesday while the Missus and I were gone for her eye doctor visit. Good news on that front - no shot in the eye this time and things seem to be clearing up. We went out for lunch afterwards to Olive Garden. That's a little fancier that what we normally do, plus it's in a location I normally try to avoid. Food was OK, service not all that good, so I'd like to find a gen-u-ine Eye-Tie restaurant now that we're getting out again. There has to be one closer than Florence, but that would be my first choice. Maybe Lido - best fish dinner I've ever eaten was on that trip.


Meanwhile back at the shack, I got the heater installed yesterday. It's over the top of the welding bench and the vise, pointing to where the jitney will soon be. This should be nice. Also, it's just the right height for a handwarmer. Since it was only about 38 degrees in the shop when I was installing it, that's going to be nice. My old fingers don't much care for the cold anymore.

I found out on Monday, I did earn a medal in the 5k I did last Saturday. I'm not sure if it's for coming in as 3rd male walker or an age group win - I was 1st in the 70 - 99 group. I'm thinking that's what I should be shooting for going forward, just out last the rest of them. Medaling in these events doesn't really mean all that much at this point in my life but, being healthy enough to compete means a lot to me. When the Missus and I were at the eye doctor, there's always a steady parade of both older folks and people that look really dependent on others to see to their needs. With all the talk lately about a nuclear device or an EMP event, I can't help but wonder what's going to happen to these folks if the power would go out for two weeks or more. And it's not just the elderly that will be in trouble, either. Lots of young people can't tie their own shoes, can't tell time unless it's a digital clock, and can't do much of anything more than sending text messages faster than a speeding bullet. Time to get off the couch and do something, if you haven't been, and do a little more if you have been. 

Last up is a reminder of how quick your life can change. A guy I grew up with had an emergency quadruple by-pass operation last week - seems to be doing alright, fortunately. Another guy I knew who used to bring his kids into the gym died last week when some dude had an accident, then left the scene and proceeded down the Interstate going the wrong way and plowed into my friend, killing both of them. And the last horror story today is about our dog groomer's husband. He got hit from behind by a drunk driver while riding his motorcycle and was thrown into a tree. He's been in the hospital for a month now. He might be able to come home in the next few days. 

Be aware of these things and do what you can to prevent them but don't allow fear to rule your life. Live life to the fullest, treat people kindly and put some effort into taking care of your health. Get outside everyday if you can for some fresh air and sunshine, exercise, avoid fast food and sweets. Love yourself, family and friends. Do something productive every day and count your blessings.
 

No comments: