Friday, December 30, 2022

Mustang Sally & Some Boxing Stuff

 


When you think of The Rascals, this one is probably not the first song that comes to mind. It plays out slower than the more commonly known version by Wilson Pickett, but I really like the funk beat that drives it along. Four minutes of the stuff I was diggin' when I was 16.


And now for something completely different, a one-hour podcast on the subject of who were the best fighters, current fighters or ones from the past. It's rare that I'll watch any You Tube video other than a tune I want to hear, but I really got interested in this one and made it all the way through. I might have to listen to a few more of Dan Carlin's Hardcore History podcasts, in fact. I came across this here, BTW.


The podcast was based on the above book and the author answered some questions that were posed to him. The general consensus seems to be that the fighters of today would be no match for those of the old days. I bought a copy of the book - I want to dig a little deeper into the subject. As a boxing coach, I'd like to know more about what specifically made the fighters like Joe Louis, Sugar Ray Robinson and Tony Zale better than today's champion fighters of the same weight class. I'll do a book report later. 

I picked up the plywood for the trailer sides yesterday. I need to make some pieces for the stakes and get those welded on before I can bolt the plywood on. I won't get much done today, though. One of our former boxers - a state Golden Glove champ and a Marine Boxing Hall of Famer - will be at the gym this morning, so I'm going to stop in and see him. Oil change on the truck in the afternoon. 

No comments: