Thursday, December 22, 2022

Tangential Railroad Post


The photo shows parts for the sideboard table I'm making for the Missus. 


One of the end assemblies ready to tack together. The design is to match another one I made years ago. The top of that one is made from siding that came with the place off an old box car. The original house was built to a spec plan by the developer of a small rail line, Ben Gifford. They're called Gifford houses and there are several of them around here. My house has been added on to a couple of times, so it would be hard to recognize as a Gifford house. However, a couple of relatives of the original owner showed up here several years ago wanting to take some photos of the place. In return, they were kind enough to send me some copies of photos taken here and in the area from back in the day.


The photo quality is not the best, but it'll give you an idea of what the original homestead looked like many years ago. The man in the dark suit standing in the cabbage patch is the original owner, Frank Lewis. This area was developed by Gifford for vegetable farming, the produce then shipped to the Chicago market.


That goose is about the same size as that young 'un. There's no longer a porch on the house. I would have preferred the house to have retained a little more of the original flavor, but these houses were never real architectural gems to begin with. Judging by the photo and the other Gifford houses I know of, that porch is fancier than any of the other houses I've seen. 

In addition to vegetable farming, the area was noted for its market hunters as well. Ducks were shot by the barrelful and also sent to Chicago. There were several hunting lodges along the river utilized by some big-name people - General Lew Wallace for one. 

I've written a small book about the development of the area and the railroad, but I've included some information from the Indiana State Library, and I need their permission to publish it. Like the family history book, I should wrap it up and get it published. A few copies for the local library, copies for some friends and family and call it done. 

No comments: