Monday, February 6, 2023

"Better since I gave up hope"


Monte Walsh was on TV last night. Even though I've seen it a half dozen times, I watched it again. I'm a big fan of Tom Selleck, a big fan of cowboy movies, and it's got one of my all-time favorite movie lines. I like to think I could have made it as a cowboy but as the movie made plain, that line of work dried up a long time ago. Still plenty of work for welders, though.

---------------------------------------------------

We had a session at the gym yesterday for the boxers training for this years Gloves. We went over a few specific things we had observed on Saturday as well as a review of a couple of things we worked on previously. The boys are making good progress with their skill development, but still need to work on their overall conditioning. 

Looks like there might be a trip to Detroit in my future working the corner for one of our guys in the Olympic Trials event. The details are still being worked out, but about 90% sure.

-----------------------------------------------------

I saw this at Coyote Prime:

"A sad fact, of course, about adult life is that you see the very things you'll never adapt to coming toward you on the horizon. You see them as the problems they are, you worry like hell about them, you make provisions, take precautions, fashion adjustments; you tell yourself you'll have to change your way of doing things. Only you don't. You can't. Somehow it's already too late. And maybe it's even worse than that: maybe the thing you see coming from far away is not the real thing, the thing that scares you, but its aftermath. And what you've feared will happen has already taken place. This is similar in spirit to the realization that all the great new advances of medical science will have no benefit for us at all, though we cheer them on, hope a vaccine might be ready in time, think things could still get better. Only it's too late there too. And in that very way our life gets over before we know it. We miss it. And like the poet said: The ways we miss our lives are life."
                                                                         Richard Ford

 One of those things you start to think about when you get to be my age. I've got a couple of things I still would like to do but old age is entering into the decision-making process. It didn't help that I lost a couple of good retirement years due to the cooties. But that's over and there's a lot of people who really suffered with that deal, my case being nothing more than an inconvenience by comparison. So I'm too old to start cowboying, but hoping I've still got plenty of good years left - got a lot of things still left on the list. 

1 comment:

download said...

I came here to post a link for an online shop but I a little bit read your post. When I was younger I used to watch some western movies) specially funny or action ones. Now I even do not watch modern movies much. But anyway I searched gor its name Monte Walsh. I hope many good days happen. And about This online store that I wanted to add, name is called Forozgah, and it works in my country well not everywhere. For entrance of people of my country to the site here is the link: Forozgah online shop store
Thanks in advance for pulishing my comment