Monday, February 27, 2023

Get Ready

 


I came across this while perusing the internet yesterday. The Ready Citizen Manual is a pdf of about 50 pages in length and it gives a good explanation as to why we all should be prepared and an excellent way of going about it. I'd like to think I'm fairly well prepared for whatever comes along, but only time will tell on that. I lived in the country when I was a kid and power outages weren't all that unusual. Likewise, getting snowed in wasn't all that unusual, either. However, being without power or being snowed in rarely lasted more than a couple of days. 

The Ready Citizen Manual states that one of the first things you should do is decide on the time frame and the number of people you wish to prepare for. There's a big difference between a few days and a few months, in the cost, the amounts and the storage requirements. No matter what stage you're at in your preps, I'm sure you can glean something from the manual. His blog post also had a link to www.stopthebleed.org.  It's a free online training course that I'm planning on taking one of these days soon. I keep a first aid kit in the house, the shop and the truck, but it's been a long time since I've had any formal training in first aid - and I've never had any in the use of a tourniquet. Time to address that issue.

There's a local group that offers a variety of self-defense courses. It wouldn't be a bad idea to sign up for their pistol course. I grew up around rifles and shotguns but I've never done much pistol shooting. There might be a NRA course locally I could take as an alternative, or even as a supplement. Learning new skills is good for the brain health, as well.

-----------------------------------------------------

Typical Monday schedule today - laundry, shopping, errands, time in the shop, and some time for exercise. If I'm going to be practicing the art of Pedestrianism, like Edward Weston, I need to start putting in the miles. Didn't get any walking in yesterday, but I did put in 4 miles on the bike and some time in the gym with the boxers getting them ready for the Gloves.

No comments: