Monday, February 13, 2023

Race Cars

 Cuzzin Ricky arranged a tour of Gary Bridge & Iron for us yesterday morning. The owner is a guy who can, quite literally, do just damn near anything and everything. I had him spline some axles for a drag car that I put a back half in years ago. He also was a building inspector and gave my construction class at Purdue a tour of a commercial building that was going up at the time. The shop does structural steel fabrication and all kinds of machine work. Now days I think he concentrates primarily on the restoration of old race cars, especially the repair of Offenhauser engines. 

He was kind enough to show us his collection of cars and give us the history of them. Great morning for Rick and I - breakfast, race cars, beautiful weather - tough to beat.




A few shots of his inventory. He's probably got about a dozen cars altogether. The top photo is the Ford Twin Cam motor - later known as the Foyt motor. The middle photo is an early Offy powered car that won the Pikes Peak race three times. Bottom photo also is Offy powered but has the engine leaned over on its side for a lower profile. There's more to see at the link above.

I got out later in the day and walked four miles. Time to start getting back in the routine. I'm going to start looking for some 5K events and some bike rides. Cuzzin Ricky and I discussed some travel plans while we were on the road. Hard to come up with any firm dates until I see what's what with the boxing schedule, however. I do want to make another trip out west to see my brother, one east to catch a couple of races and see my other brother, and, of course, get to Hawaii so I'll have finished my quest to see all 50 states. Hoping for a good year before the world self destructs.

No comments: