Sunday, January 9, 2022

Cold Weather Gear, Jitney Cab & Electric Cars

 


Here's a rare look at Shop Teacher Bob. In this case dressed for the daily trip to the chicken coop and the walk down the lane for the mail. It was about 10 degrees at the time. The wind was calm and the sun was out, so it wasn't bad. The down coat has a hood that can be unrolled out of the collar which would be useful if it was windy, since the new hat doesn't stop the wind. If I had to be out in the weather all day, I would have put on some warmer socks and a flannel shirt under my sweatshirt. 

The only time I wear this coat is when the temperatures are approaching zero. I wear long underwear as a matter of course from the first of November until the first of March. My standard winter daytime attire is a sweatshirt & bib overalls. When I go outside, depending on what I've got planned, hooded sweatshirt and a blanket lined chore coat. When plowing snow on the tractor, hooded sweatshirt and insulated coveralls. Footwear is hiking boots or pac boots with felt liners.


Even though the bender is in the back part of the shop that's not heated, I put on the work clothes yesterday and bent the second rod for the cab sheets and closed up around the rod on the first half. Looks pretty sexy, if you ask me. I'll move the saw horses up front today and work on finishing it up where it's a little warmer. I would have gotten a little more done yesterday but I had to fix up what appears to be the handy work of another raccoon. If there was a market for raccoon fur, I'd start trapping these things in earnest. As it is, I'll bait the trap again and see what happens.

Now that I'm retired it would take some sort of emergency to get me to leave the shack here and go out in the cold, which is why I missed the local appearance of the Weiner Mobile on Friday, by the way. Yesterday afternoon we got a heavy mist that turned to ice on the roads, creating havoc. All of which is a long lead into This and the necessity of being prepared. The Silicon Graybeard addresses the subject of electric vehicles and sheds some light on what happens when you and your EV are stuck in traffic for almost a full day when it's cold outside. If you take the time to read his article, be sure to read the comments as well. Very interesting and well worth your time.

No comments: