Tuesday, January 4, 2022

Tee Shirt Tuesday #10

 


Souvenir from the ruck march I did in November of 2019. Ten miles with a pack on my back. Not a lot of weight in it - mostly just some fluff to fill it out so it didn't look like it was empty. Actually, other than food and water it was close to the weight I usually carry on my bike trips. Even though I'm pulling my duffle on a trailer, it normally only weighs about 22 lbs. I carry some additional things in my panniers on the front wheel - photo stuff, rain gear, cooking utensils, along with tools, first aid kit, etc. in my saddle bag. Altogether, probably not much more than 30 pounds for everything I need to sustain me almost indefinitely out on the road except for food and water with water being the most critical as well as the heaviest item. 

I've been camping since I was a kid and have refined and upgraded my equipment over the years. I had a Ford van years ago that made "camping" easy - find a nice place to park, open the big door on the side, snap the screen door in place and I was pretty much set. When I made my bike trip from Portland to Missoula, I upgraded my tent to a good 3-season tent. We were out on the road for about three weeks. Nice to be able to sleep when it's raining out without all your gear getting wet.

I'm going to be getting the pack out again and start hiking around the field now that the ground is frozen. I'd like to do some hiking and backpacking this year. My running buddy's been doing some hiking but an overnight camping trip together is probably out of the question, if we want to stay married that is. Regardless, getting outside and doing some "rucking" is good for the body and good for the soul. I could use a bit of it.

No comments: