Monday, January 31, 2022

Snow BladeFix

 


Pretty decent day yesterday - mid-twenties, still and sunny. I made a grocery run, returned some library books and picked up a couple of things from Menards in the morning, had a bite to eat, and since they're forecasting a foot of snow in a couple of days, I figured I should see what it was going to take to repair the blade on the old Allis. 

The pin in the photo above is the lock pin that holds the blade at whatever angle is chosen. It's supposed to be straight rather than the 45degree as shown. I separated the blade from the frame so I could cut the bent part off and remove the rest of the pin.


I had a piece of 3/4" cold rolled, so it was pretty easy to make a new piece. I chucked it up in the lathe and put a taper on it, drilled the hole for the cotter key to hold the spring in compression, welded the lifting ring from the old one on to it and it was ready to go back together. It was a little tricky putting the blade back into the frame - would have been easy-peasy with someone else to work the hydraulics to lower the frame but I got the lever set to where it was just creeping down and I walked it into place. The blade still has a twist in it but I'll tackle that at a later date. It's going to take some heat and my acetylene tank is about empty. I don't want to run out in the middle of the job and I can use the plow as it is, so good enough.

No comments: