Wednesday, January 5, 2022

New Project?

 


I followed a link at WRSA to some info about preparing for a nuclear event. While I consider myself only slightly paranoid, I guess the reality is that depends on who you ask. Anyway, since I live within 50 miles of a big city and a large oil refinery, I would guess my place qualifies as one of the areas "close enough for an atomic bomb". Having grown up in the era of "duck and cover", is it time feed the paranoia once again?

Speaking as a guy who enjoys making things, especially one-off esoteric items, maybe a Kearney Fallout Meter would be an interesting winter project. I've only given the thing a quick look-see, but it looks like it could be an interesting and useful project since it's capable of measuring radon gas as well as the fallout from a nuclear attack.

The link here will take you to a pdf of the book Nuclear War Survival Skills which has instructions for making the KFM. I don't like reading that much info on a computer screen, but I'm going to read this just because, besides my paranoia, I find information from that era very interesting. And, it just might come in handy someday, God forbid.



No comments: