Tuesday, August 20, 2024

Done, Almost

 


The completed vise looks pretty nice now. The screw is bent a bit like someone had dropped the vise. The bend starts about where it's at in the photo. There's enough slack in the fit to allow it to tighten up the jaw but it binds. I'll give it a couple of whacks with the lead hammer and that should take care of it.

The jaw liners were held in place with hex bolts but the thru holes are counterbored, so I put socket head screws in. Unfortunately, I have 1/2" and 1" - one's too short and one's too long. I'll check with the hardware store and see if they've got any 5/8". Probably won't have them, but I can cut down the 1" ones I have.

Anyway, the vise is back together and I put some white lube on the moving parts. Fix the bent lead screw and get the proper length screws and I'm in business.

No comments: