Monday, August 19, 2024

Vise & Rod Holders

 


In process photo of the vise repair. The sliding jaw is there to check the fit before breaking the setup. 


I put the vise body back in the blaster to clean off any slag remaining from the brazing flux, taped off the parts I didn't want painted and then sprayed the parts with Ford gray from a rattle can I had left over from another job. I'll strip the tape off today and get it assembled.


The grandson came down yesterday to make some rod holders. The students and I made a bunch of these when I was at the high school, the green one being one of them. I did all the bending on the new ones, he did all the cutting and welding. He did a little TIG here when he was coming down before starting college, and he did a little in his Intro class there. The welds look decent, and even if they didn't, the catfish won't care.

He brought a speed square with him that he salvaged from the scrap bin. Someone had stepped on it or run it over and broke the hypotenuse on the triangle. I cleaned it up and put a small bevel on both sides while he was welding the rod holders. We changed the machine over for aluminum welding, I gave him some advice and cautioned him about controlling the heat so he didn't get a big hole in it. Sure enough, he got it too hot and got a big hole. Grandpa came to the rescue, however.

Start back at the college tonight. Hopefully, things go well.

1 comment:

Surly said...

I'm so proud of that chucklehead.