Saturday, August 17, 2024

Elvis and a Vise


I turned the television on after coming in from the shop and showering up. Definitely needed to shower. I cleaned out the blast cabinet, added more glass bead and then bead blasted the drill press vise. After that I brazed up the holes and worked up a sweat which made for a nice mix with the glass bead dust on my arms and hands. The shower was mandatory, Elvis was optional. 

While most of his movies were pretty much cornball, I like watching one every once in a while. It's a shame what he did to himself. I wouldn't trade my life for all of his fame and fortune, especially if I only made it to 42. I'm going to be 74 in a couple of weeks. I've had some ups and downs, but it's been a good run and I'm looking forward to many more, God willing.


The man sure could sing, no argument there. This is one of my favorites.


While I couldn't carry a tune in a bucket, I'm pretty sure Elvis couldn't braze weld a raggedy-ass drill press vise - or Heli-Arc two beer cans together either, as far as that goes. I'll get it cleaned up on the mill and then get some paint on all the pieces. It's a nice size to bolt to the mill, actually. The big one I've got is almost too big for me to hump around. It definitely is for a guy with a rectus abdominus or arms like a stick figure. 

The base for the vise cleaned up real well without bead blasting - wire wheel on a side grinder, then some abrasive cloth and Scotch-Brite where the degree numbers are stamped in. I was thinking the vise would be handy for cutting the angles on the shift lever. Regardless, it'll be nice to have it done.

No comments: