Monday, August 5, 2024

Tree Trimming

 


The tree trimmers showed up Saturday morning early and cut up the Hawthorn that came down in the storm a couple of weeks ago along with the other Hawthorne and a pine tree.


I had them trim back the oak that was overhanging the house while they were here as well. The oak has to be at least 200 years old. I had one blow down a few years ago and I started counting the growth rings on the stump. I gave up at 200 and there were still quite a few remaining. The one they trimmed and the one next to it developed a lean after the same storm that took down the other one. I was surprised they survived even though they were partially uprooted. A couple of the limbs are hollow, but nothing should be coming through the roof if the trees or branches come down.



They came back Sunday morning to grind the stumps. They took out the ones from the freshly cut trees and a few from other trees that had been cut down previously. 

Now I've got some more yardwork to do. They cleaned up all the branches and raked the top of the ground smooth where the stumps were ground, but I need to see about getting some grass growing in those spots. I also need to move the Hawthorn logs to the wood pile and rent a splitter for the larger ones and some other pieces I've got. I've got some painting to do yet this fall also. No rest for the wicked!

No comments: