Monday, August 26, 2024

Shop Update

 


I replaced a fluorescent two bulb light with a 3000 lumen LED over the worktable in the back of the shop. The LED lights are supposed to last 50,000 hours, meaning I'll never have to replace it. Nice bright light that'll last my lifetime for $8.99. How you going to beat that?


Likewise, I replaced the shop radio as well. It's a C. Crane, not cheap but good. This is supposed to be an improved model of the one I had out there. It's got decent sound and it's hooked up to an external FM antenna. Like the LED light, if it lasts as long as the other one did, good for my lifetime.

Surly came down to use my lathe the other day. He had a job to do that wouldn't fit through the spindle bore on his. He commented that one of us needed to have a better lathe. I looked at the selection of lathes at Grizzly and their gunsmithing lathes have relatively large spindle bores for a 13"-14" lathe. My old 13" South Bend has a large bore diameter due to it having bronze bushings on the spindle rather than ball or roller bearings. However, the spindle is a little loose and the bed is worn close to the chuck, so if you try to turn a shaft such as an axle for a motorcycle, you'll get a slight taper. Also, I can't thread metric parts on it. I'm going to have a talk with Surly and get his input on purchasing a new lathe. If I'm going to get a new one, I should act on it before I get too old to do anything with it and before the US dollar becomes totally worthless.  

No comments: