Friday, August 9, 2024

Zip-A-Dee-Do-Dah

 


My, my, my, my what a wonderful day! That was yesterday around here. Temps in the mid-seventies, blue skies and sunshine, and just a hint of breeze - perfect day. 

I picked up my veggies in the morning, stopped by the park and walked a bit on the way home. Got showered up and then rode the Himalayan to meet with the financial guy. 

He's always sunshine and lollipops, which is a nice counterpoint to my paranoia. With the recent drop with the stock market, the computer "glitch", the $35 trillion national debt, the world wise malaise and the lack of qualified leadership in this country, hard for a guy like me to be too upbeat about the future, whether that's financial or political. However, the outcome of the meeting was I won't need to be looking for a spot to park the van down by the river. Like the old joke goes - "I'm working on my 2nd million. I gave up on the first."

 

Rare photo of Shop Teacher Bob to appear here in the blog. Jimmy took the photo while I was working on his 4 wheeled dog sled the other day. The old drill press is like a Timex - Takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'. I don't remember where I got it but it's been a while ago. I had to swap out the 3-phase motor that it came with and put on a single phase one. I bought the motor from Grainger that's supposed to be some sort of energy efficient thing - or at least it was 30 or so years ago. I have similar ones on my lathe and milling machine. 

I looked up a one-horse motor on Grainger's web page and it spec's out at 5 amp draw at 230 volts. Pretty effective for a small shop owner like myself. I was shocked by the current sticker price on that motor, though - over $500. I've been thinking about buying a new drill press, but I'm sure the motor on a new imported drill won't be near as good as the Grainger motors I've got on my machine tools.

No comments: