Wednesday, August 14, 2024

Vise Squad

 


The general consensus concerning the Ham Fest on Sunday was just not enough people coming through. Why that was, no definite answer. Another Ham Fest not too far away had a similar turnout. My opinion, definitely a sign of the times. People are pretty much tapped out. Also, I wouldn't have known about it if I wasn't a member. However, I got a free hat for showing up and helping out and a coupon from ARRL worth $50.00 for books and resources. I used their book to get my technician license and that worked out well for me, so I think I'll order their book for the general license.


Vise that was a donation. It's in pretty rough shape. Besides all the rust, there's quite a bit of damage to the frame from some ham-fisted dude unfamiliar with the concept of parallels. 


Positioner that was also donated. It too has some rust issues but other than the locking handle, doesn't need much more than rust removal and paint.

I'm going to put new glass bead in the bead blast cabinet and put a new protective cover over the glass and clean up both of the items. I'll braze up the holes in the vise and then machine it flat. I'll get both of them painted up and they'll be ready to put into service or storage. I'm thinking the swivel vise will be handy to use on the mill. I don't currently have any need for the positioner, but if nothing else, it'll look good for the auction.

I did get started on the vintage trials bike again. Not much to show for my efforts but I think I've figured out what I need to make to finish up the shift mechanism. 

Coach Jen sent me some info on another 5K - this one's in September and it's close to home. They've got a race-walking class, so I'll be signing up for that one. We want to do the 50 mile bike ride in October again also. Now that I've got a couple of events to train for, time to pull the rag out of my ass and get busy.

1 comment:

Surly said...

One could put a sacrificial aluminum plate on the positioner and then bolt a cheap vise to it and it would be great for small welding projects. The aluminum would be to keep sparks from sticking to the plate.