Sunday, November 21, 2021

Mattress & Medicare

From here:

"I remember my youth and the feeling that will never come back any more, the feeling that I could last forever, outlast the sea, the earth, and all men; the deceitful feeling that lures us on to joys, to perils, to love, to vain effort, to death; the triumphant conviction of strength, the heat of life in the handful of dust, the glow in the heart that with every year grows dim, grows cold, grows small, and expires, and expires, too soon, too soon, before life itself."

                                            - Joseph Conrad, 1857-1924, English writer

Beautiful day yesterday - just above freezing in the morning, got up into the low fifties in the afternoon. My old high school was having a fundraiser for the band by selling mattresses, of all things. It's probably more profitable than selling candy bars. I've been toying with the idea of buying a new mattress for the last five years or so - should have actually bought one fifteen years ago. Took care of that today. It'll be delivered to the high school in two - three weeks. I'm hoping it'll help my back and maybe my chest, which I managed to aggravate again. This old age thing wouldn't be bad if it didn't come with aches and pains. Shouldn't complain, I suppose. Most of the ailments have been the result of self-inflicted injuries. But to add insult to injury, I received a notice that my Medicare supplement will be going up again by about $450 per year. Medicare is good but the required supplement ain't cheap and not all doctors will take Medicare insurance. Definitely something to plan for. 

Took the dog for a walk later on yesterday and then made it out to the shop for a bit. I got the mower serviced - oil change, air filter, lube. I should probably invest in a couple of spark plugs as well. Depending on the weather later today, might do my walkies with the group and pick up a couple of plugs while I'm out or I might try and figure out why the center blade on the mower deck didn't want to tighten up last time I changed blades. Or do a little something on the jitney or some combination of them all. 

No comments: