Tuesday, November 9, 2021

The Shape I'm In


I signed up for a 5K race walk the day after Thanksgiving and started training a bit. My wind isn't what it should be which I found a little surprising, what with all the cycling I've done this year. However, when I really think about it, most of the miles since they cancelled the bike race early in the summer have been at a fairly leisurely pace. Also the race walking movement is much different than pedaling a bicycle, so I've got to get the hips and ankles limbered up as well. 





Here's the shirt from 2019. It's a long sleeve tee made from some zippy technical fabric - meaning it's not going to get much wear from a guy who's a welder. It's cotton or wool for this guy as far as fabrics are concerned. I've got several of this type and they are nice for the summer time to keep the sun and the bugs off. 

I came in second male walker in 2019 - never even saw who came in ahead of me. I came in first male walker in 2017. I think I skipped 2018 because I did a 5K on Thanksgiving Day instead. I'm sure I won't be competitive this year at all. That's OK, though. It's all about keeping the weight and heart rate down, getting some fresh air and just getting out of the house. My running buddy is signing up as well. I don't know if she's planning on running or pacing me. I think she won her age division in 2017 as a runner.

I'll post my results, but regardless of the outcome, we'll both have a new tee shirt for our trouble.
 
 

3 comments:

Surly said...

Email me the info on the walk. I know I can walk 3 miles. Maybe I'll sign up.

Kevin Kaluf said...

Email me the info too - like Surly, I can walk 3 miles. Maybe I'll be "allowed" to attend :-)

Shop Teacher Bob said...

Run info should be in your in-boxes. Hope to see you both there.