Monday, November 15, 2021

Shaft Mount

 


No doubt about it - it's winter time. Woke up to some snow on the ground yesterday. The sun came out for a little bit and burned the snow off but then it turned gray, cold and blustery. It was cold enough I fired up the heater in the shop when I went out to work. It was only 36 degrees in there but it's a small area to heat and since it hasn't been real cold lately it warmed up the big chunks of cast iron on the lathe and mill quickly and got to a comfortable working temperature. It's supposed to be back into the fifties tomorrow, so I'll mow for the last time this year. I'm planning on cleaning up the shop today and making room for the mower so I can change oil and check the one spindle where the blade didn't want to tighten up. 


The beginning of the steering shaft bracket. The top part of the photo shows the mounting plate with the slot milled in it. Between the slot and the threads on the Heim, I'll be able to adjust the shaft both up and down and in and out. I made the plate just wide enough to get a socket on the adjusting nut, plus a little clearance. The bottom part of the photo shows the layout for the side plates.


Finished bracket. I plug welded the side plates on and the extra top plate welded on will add some more weld area but it's mostly to give me a place to fasten a clamp so I can position it as needed while I'm figuring out the rest of the steering.

I ordered some shocks for both the front and rear - they should be in later this week. I also ordered the tintype kit - looking forward to playing with that.

No comments: