Thursday, May 26, 2022

Here's To The Salt Of The Earth.


Here's to all the hardworking people - especially everyone struggling to buy gas to get back and forth to work, trying to feed their children since they're not getting lunches at school anymore and, of course, all of us middle class retirees watching the value of our savings and Soc. Sec income shoot craps. As we approach the Memorial Day holiday, we should be remembering all of those who gave their lives so that we could indeed live in the home of the brave and the land of the free. Hate to think their sacrifices were in vain.


Talked to the boss at the side gig yesterday. He's wanting the table legs ASAP. The plan was to have his son help me with the welding but I don't know if we can co-ordinate our schedules and get them done in time. Would have made it easily without the covid. I was cutting some more pieces last night and the power went out. The generator kicked on but I didn't want to weld anything using the generator, plus it was raining. I don't like getting trapped out in the shop during a storm.

Trip to the dentist today. The tooth quit hurting but yesterday I woke up with a pus ball about the size of a marble along the gum line. It popped when I took the first couple of bites of my yogurt. Interesting flavor combo. They're calling for rain again today. When I get home from the dentist I'll get to work on the table legs. Get the frames all tacked together and finish cutting all the pieces that go inside the frame. That'll take a while but if I get that done, maybe I can get the boss's son to finish weld them in the next couple of days. I don't know if I've got any decent MIG wire. The welding would go a lot faster with the MIG than the TIG, which is what I've been using to weld most everything the last couple of years.

The "Ranger repair" stopped by yesterday morning. The frame is cracked right in front of the rear leaf spring mount - about the only thing holding it is the top flange. Not much to weld to - mostly flaky rust. He said he's not in a big hurry but I'd like to get to it before it breaks completely loose and then have to chase it all around to get it lined back up again. He told me it cost him $600.00 to fill up his big septic tank truck I repaired last year. He never brings me an easy job but I always enjoy talking to him - old guys with common attitudes and values. 

No comments: