Tuesday, May 31, 2022

Stars and Stripes Forever

 


Probably should have posted this one yesterday, but that's pretty much the story of my life - day late and a dollar short. 

Memorial Day started off with a telemarketing call at 8:45 in the morning. Apparently, the greedy bastards forgot to turn off the automatic caller or they just don't care about recognizing those who have given their lives in the service of our country.

Another quick observation about Memorial Day. While the holiday was originally Decoration Day, a day to decorate the graves of the fallen soldiers from the Civil War, it became a national day of remembrance in 1971 on the last Monday of May. Veterans Day, in November, is for all who have served. However, around here there's no way you can plant flowers in November, so we plant flowers and flags in May, the graves look nice all summer long and all who have served, whether they died in service or not, get recognized. Not a bad thing, really.


Finished up the table legs and got them delivered. If you enlarge the photo or squint a bit, you can see the knee braces sitting on top of the legs. Those are made from 3/4" angle that I notched the ends on, bent to a 45, welded together and drilled the holes to match the hole in the leg and allow them to meet the wood top at the proper location. I didn't make the center legs. I gave the boss the line-up on the installation. When he's got them bolted to the top, I can make the center leg and the stretchers.


I got an update from my buddy on the engine for the trials bike. Steady by jerks like my old friend Joey used to say. Not much left to do on it.  

I got a little more garden work done and as soon as I clean up from table leg job, I'll make the bushing for TVI. Take a couple of days for yard and garden work and then tackle the rusty Ranger. Hopefully back on the jitney after that and then maybe take a look see at the BSA. 



With the holiday on Monday, I almost forgot the Tee Shirt Tuesday post. QBlast was a locally made sports drink. The creator, Leon, is a piece of work, The product was a good one. He sponsored and sold this stuff at races. I liked it and would buy it by the case - sugar free and lots of potassium. Shame it's no longer available.


No comments: