Tuesday, October 18, 2022

Tee Shirt Tuesday #51

 


The Scarecrow Stampede is part of the annual Scarecrow Festival. I've done both the run and the walk. Since this one is dated 2018, I'm thinking I would have walked this one. I've got a ribbon from this same event from 2006 when I was still running - age group winner. If I remember correctly, this was my fastest 5K after a long hiatus of my running career at 23:45. Not a blistering pace but I never was fast. I don't remember any of my 5K times from back in the seventies. I didn't run many. I ran more longer distances, 10K and a couple of 10.5 milers. In fact, my first event was a 10.5 miler my old boxing coach "encouraged" me to run back in '76 as part of the bi-centennial celebration. The hardest part of that one was the mental game. I'd never run anywhere close to ten miles before, so I was more than a little apprehensive. However, I've learned you can run just about any distance if you train properly. I did a full marathon in 2005 at age 55 and didn't have any trouble completing it. I did have trouble walking down steps for a couple of days afterwards, though. Same thing with my cycling. I've done several long-distance tours and a Century ride of 100 miles in one day. If you train properly and get your mind right, it's amazing the things you can do. 

I'm planning on one more 5K racewalk this year, then I might call it quits on competitive events. I'll see what my running buddy wants to do next year. Might do a few things just to keep her company and keep myself motivated to stay in shape, such as it is. Diet and exercise - the real fountain of youth.

No comments: