Thursday, October 27, 2022

Like Hogan's Goat

 


I painted the fenders while painting the wheels, so they're looking good. But then I started on the hubs and things quickly deteriorated.


I pulled the first hub off and the axle looked okay, but the bearings were shot. It had Timken tapered rollers on the 1" straight shaft, but water had gotten in there. Not only were things rusted, but the cups were galled and the spacer the bearing is supposed to butt up to spins around the shaft. That's an easy enough fix - grind down some of the weld holding the shaft into the pipe and then put a small weld onto the spacer to keep it fixed to the end of the axle and there I'll be.


The other side is a total mess. The stub appears to be bent, or maybe it was just welded in crooked. There's no spacer for the bearing to butt up against because the stub is too short as well as way under diameter due to being ground on. There's also a couple of deep grinder gouges on the bottom side you can't see in the photo. No way to properly fix that mess without replacing the stub axle.

The hub in the foreground had no grease seal and the bearing should have been pushed up against the weld on the axle. However, both hubs had quite a bit of play when I took them apart. Yep, like Hogan's goat.

 Cuzzin Ricky hipped me to etrailer.com. I ordered a new stub axle for the one side, bearings, cups and seals for both sides. The parts should be here the first part of next week. Everything is Chinese, but hard to argue with the price when you're trying to do a job on the cheap. Not sure what it's going to take to replace the stub, but I'll figure it out I'm sure.

4 comments:

MARSHALL OVERCLOTH said...

now I got the Hogan's Heroes theme AND the Jolly Green Giant jingle stuck in my head. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1m4mykKnGjw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onZm-1GjYdw

Shop Teacher Bob said...

I didn't even post any music and you got a couple of ear worms? I'm thinking that might be all you this time. For the record, I didn't bother looking at the videos. I don't need any help remembering the themes from either of those two - especially Hogan's Heros. Unlike Shultz, I do know something.

MARSHALL OVERCLOTH said...

I wish monoculus would come back in style.

Surly said...

The boat that was on that trailer was MASSIVE. It's a nice trailer but probably underbuilt for the size of the boat. That's probably why things were bent and cracked.