Saturday, November 19, 2022

More Sockets +


I had the chance to see Leon Redbone a couple of times. His musical selections were primarily old tunes that lent themselves to his unique voice and guitar stylings. Unfortunately, not the kind of thing I can hear on any of the commercial stations I listen to. My buddy Kevin and I looked into starting one of the low wattage stations at the high school when they were handing out licenses years ago. The principal thought some kind of computer class or another was a better deal. While it's tough to argue with the guy who controls the purse strings, computer repair wasn't going to be near as much fun as a radio station in my book. Now there's all sorts of things available to get just about any type of music you want piped into your computer or smart phone. What I need to do is take some things off my MP3 player, add a few more, and then just let it run on shuffle when I'm out in the shop. The new radio/CD player in the woodshop is working out well for me but I don't spend much time out there. Probably should just quit complaining - as my old man used to say: "And people in hell want ice water."


I ordered this set of deep wells when I ordered the wheel chock for the trailer. With the coupon they were only $19.99. Granted they're made from Chinesium, but it's not like I'm going to be doing a lot of heavy-duty wrenching. Mostly lug nuts and the occasional odd-ball job I take on when I should have said no. The top of my toolbox is chock full of sockets now, so I'm going to make a bracket to hang this set on the wall next to the box. That's what the piece of angle and flat iron to the left of them is for. 

It was cold yesterday, it'll be cold today and tomorrow, so not much going to be happening in the shop. I did go out yesterday long enough to finish the pieces for the exercise bike at the gym. All I had left to do was cut the two rods for the tee handles and drill the holes through the ends with the threads. These are used to adjust the seat height on an old Schwinn Airdyne. I don't know where Jimmy got this thing, but the factory adjuster was missing and the threads were screwed up on the crank where the pedal with the left-hand threads go, if I remember correctly. Since I was a shop teacher and a bicyclist for years, just so happens I had a left-hand tap to take care of that. The seat post adjusters thread into a 1/2" nut on the seat tube and extend through holes in the post so you can raise the seat up or down. 

The one in the photo with the longer turned section is the second one I made. The first one lasted about two weeks and came up missing. Somebody lost it or stuck it in their gym bag, never to be seen again. So I made another one and keep it in my gym bag. Now that I'm going back on a regular basis, I've been doing some overdue maintenance around the place. It's gotten a little shabby over the last couple of years. I'm going to give the two new adjusters to a couple of the coaches. They can make them available to the fighters and keep track of them. I'm going to keep mine in my gym bag still.

They're calling for temps in the mid to high forties next week, so hoping to finish up most everything on the trailer, get the blade on the tractor and pick a few other things off the list. I've been on a roll lately, don't want to lose my momentum.

No comments: