Tuesday, November 1, 2022

Sockets, Manifolds & a Side of Politics


It's rare I use my 3/4" drive sockets, and I wish to keep it that way. I had the sockets in a cardboard box and the bottom fell out of the box when I went to pick it up the other day. I want to make something more substantial to store the sockets and ratchets. Most of the stuff is Snap-On, meaning if I had to buy it all new, I'd be looking at something like $1,500 -$2,000. The big socket on the left I bought to repair my old Ford 3/4-ton van. It's big but light duty to remove the bearing retainer nut on the rear axle. To the left of the extension is a 1/2" socket. I think that was a garage sale find. No way I would have bought a new one from Snap-On in 3/4" drive. I certainly don't need that kind of muscle to remove a 5/16" nut, when I can snap them off easily enough with 1/2" drive stuff. While I don't need to start on another project, I've got some other woodworking stuff to do so I'm putting a list of materials together to get everything together and spend a couple of days making sawdust.


Surly sent me a couple of things in response to my carb post. The photo above is an Offenhauser manifold for the Slant-Six that uses two stock carbs. Neato-mosquito, ain't it. That intake would look right at home with the Offy valve cover and oil filter cover I've already got. 

He also sent me a copy of an old Offy catalog that has a page in it that one can use to arrive at the proper carb size for your engine displacement and rpm range. According to the chart, a 225 cid motor like mine turning an optimistic 5,000 rpm needs a carb that will flow 326 cfm. I've got no idea what the stock carb will flow, but two of them would surely do the job.

It rained most all day yesterday again, so I diddled around with a bunch of things - picked up a fresh acetylene tank, dropped some paperwork off at the financial folks, picked up some groceries, hit the hardware store again, did some housework and cut some pieces for the stakes for the sides of the trailer. The roofers should be here today, so I want to stick around, but I should be able to get some things welded up out in the shop.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Now for a bit of politics. It's been a few days since the Pelosi hammer event and there hasn't been much in the way of a legitimate explanation of what actually occurred. 


Pretty well sums up what about 95% of anyone with at least a few functioning brain cells must be thinking. And the media wonders why we no longer believe anything they tell us. Nothing but a joke.

No comments: