Thursday, November 3, 2022

More This & That

 


The roofers finished up yesterday - hard working group. They had to replace more of the underlayment than what I expected, but I should be good now for as I live here or as long as I live, whichever comes first.


I made a little bracket so I could mount the old Mack bulldog on the wall. This replaces the nail I was using to hang my shop coat on in the wood shop. I've had this thing for probably 30 years and never did anything with it. It had a bolt broken off in one of the mounting holes that I finally got around to removing not too long ago. The nail worked just fine, but now the bulldog is off the bench top.


The top plate has the layout and holes for a set of wheelie bars. I think I've got a set of the parts all cut out already. I need to see if I can find them and then make a set of bars for the 900, or finish cutting these out and make a set. I bought some aluminum to make a pair of struts quite a while ago. Another job that needs to be finished, whether I need them or not.


I used my new mag drill yesterday for the first time. While the holes are only 1/2", it took no time at all to drill them using an annular cutter - nice finish on the holes as well. This is the first time I used a mag drill with this type of cutter in a long time. I worked summers in a couple of structural steel shops back in the day, and I used this sort of set-up a lot, as well as a mag drill using regular Morse taper drill bits. We usually drilled a #35 pilot hole first with a hand drill using a screw machine length bit and then drilled the larger hole with the mag drill. I'm not sure why they used the #35 drill, but I just did what I was told. It did work well, though. Those two pieces I put the holes in are for the jitney project.

I ordered a piece of stock to repair the trailer axle. It should be here in a couple of days. I'd like to get the wheels back underneath that thing before the farmer puts his machinery back in the barn so I can paint the frame out of the wind and before it gets too cold. In the meantime, I'll keep piddling around with the jitney and keep waging war on the long list of little things that should have been done years ago.

2 comments:

Surly said...

That dog is far older than 30. I used to play with it as a kid.

Shop Teacher Bob said...

I guess that would make it 40-45 years that I've been dragging it around. Feel free to take it off the wall when they haul me off.