Saturday, November 5, 2022

New Toolbox & Tunes


I made the toolbox for my 3/4" drive tools yesterday - still need a couple of handles and latches/hasps. The one piece for holding the ratchets in place split when I screwed it into place, and that's after I drilled a pilot hole to prevent that from happening. Since I'm hoping that using these is going to be a rare occasion, I'll just leave it. The goal was to get them organized and keep them rust free. This should do it. First woodworking job after moving the table saw up top, by the way. Saved me quite a few steps up and down, not to mention not having to move the truck and the motorbike outside.


I drug out the hinge bits to install the hinges. These babies are the bee's knees for hinge installation. The end of the bit is tapered the same as the hole in the hinge, as well as being spring loaded. Stick the bit down on the hinge, turn on the drill and push down, and you've got a pilot hole perfectly centered. These came from Garrett Wade. I've only used two sizes so far, but they've got a decent deal on a 3 pack, or all 5.


I bought myself a new radio for the woodshop. The FM reception is a little better, but I really bought it to play CDs. The old player just wasn't cutting it anymore and since I like listening to jazz and blues, in addition to classic rock, I need the CD player. Plus, this one has an input for my MP3 player, so I can listen to whatever suits my mood on any given day. In the center of the photo is the first CD I played - Robert Jr. Lockwood. I had a chance to see him live many moons ago at a little club in Minneapolis. His wife had a card table set up in the corner selling albums. I bought one and Robert Jr. was kind enough to autograph it for me. I've been planning on framing it almost as long as doing something with the Mack bulldog. Might finally be time.


After I finished up yesterday, I looked for the toolbox hardware on Amazon and decided I also needed a Pete Fountain CD for the new player. My pops was a big Pete Fountain fan, so I grew up with him. However, no place on the FM dial can I hear Robert Jr. Lockwood or Pete Fountain, and since I'm on a traditional jazz and blues kick, maybe get myself a Jack Teagarden CD next.


When was the last time you heard Teagarden? I sure miss Sunday afternoons with Dick Buckley on WBEZ out of Chicago.
 

No comments: