Thursday, August 26, 2021

Bitchin' Wheels

 


I got out into the shop yesterday about 7:30. It was already close to 80 degrees and steamy due to all the rain we got the night before. I set a box fan up blowing under the car but I still had a hard time keeping my safety glasses from fogging up and my welding jacket was sweaty by the time I was finished.

The welding was a bit tricky due to the fact that the fit-up wasn't perfect. It never is when things like this break since the part will bend or stretch when coming apart. Plus, the bottom of the frame rail is paper thin. There was also two brake lines, a fuel line and some wires real close to where I had to weld. I wrapped the lines and wires with a chunk of fire blanket and then further protected them with a sheet of plywood with some sheet asbestos stapled to it. The job looked pretty decent when I finished up but as Brother Johnny used to say: "You can't make ice cream out of shit."

I took my tires and wheels to the tire shop later in the day and they got me in and out right away. The tires are from the original Firestone molds. I might have to doll them up with some tire paint on the Firestone logo and lettering. Most all of the old Champ cars from the thirties and forties ran Firestones with white lettering on the brand name. 

I'll probably order the rear wheels as soon as the September Social Security check comes in. I'm still on the fence about running a quick-change rear - big expense but I probably won't be happy any other way. Maybe just get that first so I can complete the chassis. I did notice while under the Jeep that it has an extremely short driveshaft. That's been one of the concerns I've been thinking about. As long as I get the angle of the differential matching up with the angle of the engine, I should have enough length on the driveshaft after I splice in another 11 or 12" on the frame rails.

Anyway, the Jeep's done, I can move the jitney back up front and I can work on some parts for the side hustle or do some welding on the Rickati frame. Never a shortage of project work. 

No comments: