Friday, August 13, 2021

Postcards, Pitmans and More

 


Surly and the family took a vacation out West and the boys all sent me postcards. In the old days when I was free to travel, I would always send them postcards from my travels both domestic and international. Nice of them to reciprocate.


My Speedway order came yesterday. They included a sheet of stickers in addition to the bumper sticker like they normally do. I dig stickers - like the old decal sheets I would get in the car model kits back in the day.


New pitman arm - shiny stainless steel. Sexy thing ain't it.


Speaking of sexy things - it's the Missus' 29th birthday today for the 2.448th time. Pretty neat trick seeing as how I took that photo 50 + years ago. Not much of a celebration on tap today. We did lunch yesterday after taking the long drive to the hospital for a covid test. 84 miles round trip to get a Q-Tip stuck up her nose. She got the call later that everything was good. That means we can make another trip next week.

It's rare that I watch any sports ball on television any more, but I tuned in to watch the Yankees versus the White Sox at the Field of Dreams last night. Pretty good idea that someone had. For baseball, this was like the first outdoor hockey game. I can see this being an annual event. Since I lived fairly close to Chicago growing up, my dad took me to Comisky Park a few times when the Yankees were in town. I got to see Maris, Mantle, Berra, Ford and Aparicio, Fox, Minoso and all the others. I was disappointed in the Yankees uniforms last night, however. The Sox were sporting throw-back uniforms and really looked the part - just like in the movie. The Yankees looked out of place in their polyester. Even though they were the visiting team, they could have been sporting something like Lou Gehrig is.


That would have been more in keeping with the moment. Nice interview with Kevin Costner, however. 


No comments: