Thursday, August 12, 2021

Collier Lodge

 It's been hot again - and wet too. The hired man came off his vacation long enough to help me out Tuesday morning. We knocked off about noon and I was soaking wet with sweat. The temp with the heat index factored in was around 105. Pretty damn hot and sticky for an old man so I took it easy after lunch and then cut the back yard early in the evening since they were forecasting rain. And rain it did. Rained that evening and again about 4:30 Wednesday morning. It cleared up about 7:30 so I headed out on the bike. 


I rode up to the river - about 11 miles. This is the Collier Lodge, or what is left of it. It's the last of the Kankakee River hunting lodges from back in the day. More info about the lodge and the area can be found here.


I've never attended the River Walk. Might see about doing that this year - that's assuming the sign is current. I should probably check out the historical society's website.

On the way home the wind started to pick up - a headwind, of course - and the clouds started to roll in. I made it up to about a mile from home when the rain started. Big drops but not many off them, along with a couple of claps of thunder. After I made it into the house it rained like a bastich. The rain cooled things down quite a bit but after the sun came out later it was pretty steamy again so other than a trip to the grocery, I took the day off.

Lots of things lined up the next week or so. Lots of medical stuff with the Missus, I sent my entry for the bike ride so more longer training rides and a few other things. It's supposed to cool down some so the conditions should be a bit more conducive to my getting back out into the shop.

3 comments:

Surly said...

Hotter that two rats...in a wool sock. Out west it was 114 and mostly dry. Here the air is like pudding. Not sure one is better than the other. I changed spark plugs on the wife's car last night. I looked like I'd been swimming after that.

Shop Teacher Bob said...

When Jimmy fought in Oklahoma a few years back it had been in triple digits for over 30 days in a row. It too was a dry heat but it was hard to breathe. This soupy stuff is miserable with your safety glasses fogging up constantly and having to change clothes mid-day but at long as you keep up with the fluid loss it's bearable. And around here it's usually pretty short lived - meaning just about the time you get acclimated to it, something else comes along. If I was to do it all over again, maybe the eastern part of Kentucky or Tennessee.

Surly said...

I was surprised that high up in the mountains in Arizona was cool temps and lots of pine trees. Looked and felt like the Smoky Mountains. Kind of bizarre. Flagstaff was 30 degrees cooler than Phoenix.