Saturday, August 21, 2021

Jam Nuts

 


The Missus got a reprieve on getting her teeth pulled. After we got home I went for a bike ride and found a 13mm gear wrench in the road. I've got a set of these I keep in the new barn for working on the bicycles and the occasional job on a motorcycle or auto. Mine aren't the flex head style but they are pretty handy. I've found lots of different things on the road with all the running and cycling I've done over the years - pretty much everything except any real sum of money.


I bored the threads out of the jam nuts that I'm planning on welding on the draglink and tie rod. I'll slide them over the tube and tack them on which will make it easier when I want to adjust the steering.

I looked at hooking up the brake hoses to the calipers. The kit came with hoses and brackets to hold the hoses where they'll join to the metal brake line. It looks like I'll have to grind a little off the caliper where the hose bolts on. As it is, the only place the hose can be bolted on is if it's pointing right at the kingpin. If I grind the shoulder off on one side of the recess I can get the hose pointing out to the side, it should be long enough and I can weld the brackets on the edge of the frame. I'll get the hoses hooked up and then I can see about some type of shock mount. I'm leaning towards using "aircraft" shocks rather than the friction shocks that would have been used back in the day. I'm going to look at a few old cars, see what they're running and then decide.  

No comments: