Sunday, April 17, 2022

Happy Easter


This is my all time favorite hymn, with Tennessee Ernie's version being the best. While that's just my opinion, since it's my blog, Tennessee Ernie wins hands down. They can play this one at my funeral, if there'll be one. Haven't been too many funerals the last couple of years due to the cooties, and even before that, in lieu of a funeral, people will have a memorial service/party instead. As long as the grandsons can set up the tee shirt stand, it'll be good with me. After all, I won't be around for it.


This is a photo I shot from across the aisle while traveling home from Minneapolis/St. Paul on the Amtrack years back. The photo was taken with the old Franke Jr, just guessing at the exposure and distance settings. I made the print and have been sitting on it for a long time. I finally got around to mounting it yesterday. I think it's one of the finest shots I've ever done. Since it's now framed, I might enter it and another one in the fair this year. 

Mowed the front yard and the doggie's poop park yesterday. I mow the poop park with a reel mower. The blades needed sharpening and I looked into how-to ideas but everything looked like a substitute for a proper sharpening. One of the ways I found used valve grinding compound and spinning the reel backwards with a drill motor. Probably would work if you spun it long enough. Years ago the machine shop instructor sharpened one up for a guy by chucking the reel in a lathe, spinning it nice and slow and then running the tool post grinder the length of it. I was contemplating doing the same but that was going to be more work than I wanted to get into. So lazy dude that I am, I took a mill file to the blades and dressed them up. Because the blades are spiral wound, I had to change the angle of the file as I went along the blade but they came out fairly nice. The only thing is I don't know how close the blades should be to the bed knife. I adjusted the reel until I had a little daylight but I didn't try using a feeler gauge or anything. It worked much better than it did prior to sharpening it, so I quit right there.


Happy Easter
Peace, Love and Understanding to you all

No comments: