Monday, April 11, 2022

Radiator Support Rods

 


Good day yesterday - got 3-1/2 miles in on our walkies, read the paper, cleaned up the garden where the rhubarb has popped up, and started making the radiator support rods for the jitney. I'm making them out of 5/16" stainless so I can polish them up later. I probably should have thought about making the steering shaft out of stainless as well. Might have been cheaper than using cold rolled and chrome plating.

There'll be a 1/4" Heim on each end of the rod, one right hand thread, one left hand thread. Not totally necessary but that will allow me to adjust the tension of the rod without unbolting it. I started by turning the rod to the 1/4" diameter and then threading one of the left hand threads. I figured if I was going to screw something up, it would be the end with the left hand thread. I almost did, too. I forgot to change the direction on the gearbox but caught it before any harm done.

Might finish those this morning, might do some yard work. Dentist appointment later in the day. Just need to keep peckin' away at the projects.

No comments: